Research Interests and Fields
Inquiry based and technology assisted education methods and curriculum for science learning and scientific reasoning. Assessment instruments for assessing science content knowledge and scientific reasoning skills.
Measurement and assessment methods
- Model Analysis – multi-dimensional modeling for assessing learning.
- Dynamic models of learning and a unified probability framework for education measurement, which integrates Model Analysis, normalized gain and IRT under a single coherent theoretical frame.
- Development of quantitative assessment instruments and methods for assessing content knowledge, reasoning, and views and attitudes.
- Large scale quantitative assessment and targeted comparisons.
- International assessment data center.
Computational models of student learning processes such as neural network models
Experimental technology and methods for measuring and modeling behavioral data of student learning (e.g. automatic group dynamics analysis and eye-tracking analysis of human interactions with computer simulations).
Technologies in education (e.g. in-class polling, web based interactive learning modules, technology enhanced science inquiry, virtual reality experiments, learning games)
- Teacher Professional Development for Technology-Enhanced Inquiry to Foster Students’ 21st Century Learning, NSF, DRK-12, 2014-2018.
- Developing Scientific Reasoning: Targeted Physics Instruction for STEM Majors, NSF, IUSE, 2014-2018.
- Developing Scientific Reasoning Assessment Tools for STEM Education and Teacher Preparation, NSF, 2010~2015.
- Mathematics Coaching Program – Year Six funded by the Ohio Department of Education 2014-2015.
- Science Learning and Scientific Reasoning, NIH, 2009~2013.
- Developing Scientific Reasoning Abilities in Pre-service Teachers, NSF, CCLI, 2010~2012.
- Virtual Experiments for Physics Labs, NSF, CCLI, 2007~2011.
- Building a solid foundation for multidisciplinary STEM education research, NSF, CCLI, 2008~2011.
- STEP: Gateway into first-year STEM curricula: A community college/university collaboration promoting retention and articulation, NSF Subcontract, $18,827, 2008~2010.
- Creating Research-based Single-Concept Question Sequences for In-class Polling Systems, NSF CCLI, 2006~2010.
- Develop and Assess The Ohio State Standardized Clicker System, OSU, 07/2005~06/2007.
- Context Cues, Associative Memory and Learning of Physics. NSF, 01/2002 – 12/2005.
- Technology & Model-Based Conceptual Assessment. NSF, 01/2001 – 12/2004.
- Ohio State University Seed Grand 2001-2002.